Exploring the Various Types of LED Strip Lighting Systems
- By Ledrise Led Professional
- Jan 9, 2023
LED strip lighting systems, also known as LED tapes or LED ribbon lights, have become increasingly popular due to their versatility and energy efficiency. These lighting solutions come in various forms, including flexible LED strips, rigid LED strips, Zhaga LED strips, backlight LED strips, flexible backlight LED strips, and power LED strips. In this article, we will delve into the different types of LED strip lighting systems, discussing their unique features, advantages, and potential applications.
Zhaga LumiBar LED strips are a type of rigid LED strip that adheres to the Zhaga Consortium's standards for shape and connection. These standardized specifications ensure that luminaires using Zhaga LED strips can be easily maintained, upgraded, or replaced with future versions or LED strips from different manufacturers. Common standards include the Zhaga Book 7 L56W2 for 56 cm long and 2 cm wide strips, and the Book 7 L28W2 for 28 cm long and 2 cm wide modules. Zhaga LED strips also require a plug-and-play connection and space on the PCB for installation using screws.
Advantages of Zhaga LED Strips:
- Easy installation
- Compatibility with the latest LED technology, such as SunLike CRI98+, Nichia Optisolis CRI99+, and special spectrum for plant growth Nichia Rsp0A
- Future-proof and serviceable, allowing for easy replacement
- High brightness
Flexible LumiFlex LED strips
Flexible LED strips consist of LEDs mounted on a narrow, flexible PCB. They are also commonly referred to as "LED tape light" or "string light". Typically, flexible LED strips are available in 5-meter reels and operate at 24VDC or 12VDC, with a compatible transformer powering an entire reel. To ensure a secure installation, flexible LED strips require a suitable surface, such as glass or metal, to adhere to their back adhesive tape. Aluminum profiles are ideal for use with flexible LED strips, as they provide necessary cooling and convert the strip into a linear lighting fixture.
Advantages of Flexible LED Strips:
- Flexibility allows for installation on curved surfaces
- Simple assembly with the back adhesive strip
- Good thermal conductivity
- Seamless lighting up to 5 meters in length
- Narrow strips available (from 5 mm in width)
Rigid MultiBar LED strips
Rigid MultiBar LED strips use a PCB made of aluminum or FR4, making them easier to install mechanically than flexible LED strips when creating linear lighting fixtures. These strips often have holes specifically designed for securing with screws or holders, allowing for permanent installation on a variety of surfaces or environments, such as wood, plaster, or stone, which may not be adhesive-friendly. Many rigid LED strips also feature a plug-and-play connection system for easy electrical wiring without the need for soldering.
- Multibar3090 Nichia LED Strip warm white CRI90 3000K 850lm 24V 44 LEDs 50cm bar (1700lm/m 13W/m)was €19.34 Special Price €17.41
Advantages of Rigid LED Strips:
- Suitable for all even surfaces
- Permanent fixation with screws or holders
- Robust and durable
- Easy to connect using plug-and-play systems
- Typically made of FR4 or aluminum
Backlight LED strip
Designed for wide-area illumination or backlighting, backlight LED strips, also known as "LED matrix" strips or modules, feature a uniform LED arrangement in both length and width. These strips can be extended in all directions with additional modules to create large, uniform LED fields, making them perfect for illuminated ceilings, architectural lighting, surface luminaires, and advertising signs.
- BackMatrix-49-3080 Nichia LED Module pure white CRI80 4000K 3200lm 49 LEDs 24V 21.2W 120° 29x29cm (38000 lm/sqm)was €29.46 Special Price €26.51
- BackMatrix-49-2080 Nichia LED Module pure white CRI80 5000K 1300lm 49 LEDs 24V 10.9W 180° 28x28cm (16000 lm/sqm)was €23.97 Special Price €21.57
Advantages of Backlight LED strip
- Uniform lighting for large surfaces
- Excellent for large area lighting and advertising
- Extendable in all directions
- Easy to install or replace due to their large module size
- Permanent fixation with screws or brackets
Flexible backlight LED strips are an innovative product made possible by plasma direct metallization, a production technique that transforms flexible substrates into electrically conductive and solderable circuit boards. This advancement has opened up numerous new application possibilities in the lighting industry and beyond.
One example of this innovation is the solderable flexible paper, used in products like Paper-Flex, an affordable PCB that is diffusion-friendly and ideal for large-area applications such as wallpaper or advertising spaces. Another example is the solderable flexible PET, which is a cost-effective, strong, resilient, and lightweight plastic used in the incredibly bright Z-Flex980 LED strip.
- PaperFlex-497-1080 Osram LED module 24.85m length 3479 LEDs 8.69 sqm warm white 2700K 24V 35cm wide (2900lm/sqm)was €1,950.00 Special Price €1,755.00
Advantages of Flexible Backlight LED Strips:
- Uniform lighting for large surfaces, even on uneven or curved surfaces
- Available in long reels, covering up to 10 square meters with instant light
- Easy to transport due to the reel format
- Extendable in all directions
- Easy and permanent fixation with screws or brackets
- Simple to install or replace thanks to the plug-and-play design
Power LED strips are compact and ultra-bright, designed for applications that require a high amount of light per square meter. These applications can include plant growth, medical, industrial, commercial, or architectural lighting. Power LED strips usually employ high-power LEDs (at least 1 watt each) mounted on an aluminum PCB.
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium horticulture hyper-red and deep-blue 700mA 12 LEDs 29cmwas €77.48 Special Price €69.73
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium UV 365nm 12180mW 700mA 12 Nichia 233 LEDs 29cmwas €249.00 Special Price €224.10
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium UV 405nm 17040mW 700mA 12x Nichia 119 LEDs 29cmwas €99.00 Special Price €89.10
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium UV 385nm 16080mW 700mA 12x Nichia 119 LEDs 29cmwas €99.98 Special Price €89.98
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium hyper-Red 660nm 700mA 12x Osram Oslon SSL LEDs 29cmwas €29.46 Special Price €26.51
- PowerBar V3 LED Module Aluminium deep-Blue 455nm 700mA 12x Osram Oslon SSL LEDs 29cmwas €29.46 Special Price €26.51
Advantages of Power LED Strips:
- Exceptional brightness per meter by using high-power LEDs
- Compatible with lenses for focused lighting
- Can be combined with lens systems, radiators, and clamps to create a linear beam projector
- Easy to connect with plug-and-play systems
- Primarily made of aluminum for better heat dissipation
LED strip lighting systems offer a versatile and energy-efficient solution for various lighting needs. Whether you require flexible or rigid LED strips, Zhaga-standardized products, backlighting solutions, or high-power options, there is an LED strip lighting system to suit your requirements. When selecting the appropriate LED strip type, consider the surface, installation method, desired brightness, and specific application to ensure the best results for your lighting project.